Council requested the opinion of residents on the subject of the public consumption of cannabis in Fairview. The following question was asked:
As of October 17, 2018, the Federal government has legalized cannabis. The Provincial government has been given the authority to set laws around the public consumption of cannabis.
Public smoking or vaping of cannabis in Alberta will be prohibited from any place where tobacco is restricted as well as in the following places.
On any hospital property, school property or child care facility property in or within a prescribed distance from:
- a playground
- a sports or playing field
- a skateboard or bicycle park
- a zoo
- an outdoor theatre
- an outdoor pool or splash pad
- from any motor vehicles, with the exception of those being used as a temporary residence, such as a parked RV
Any cannabis retail outlets.
Municipalities have the authority to enact bylaws to restrict public consumption of cannabis further.
Regarding public consumption of cannabis, would you like to see enforced in Fairview:
- Just the provincial and federal regulations as shown above.
- Creation of a Town Bylaw that does not allow public consumption of cannabis, treating cannabis the same as alcohol.
The results of that survey are shown below:
Based on the responses, the recommendations of the local RCMP and the direction of many municipalities in Alberta, along with several other factors, Council enacted the bylaw shown below. The most frequently requested bylaws can be viewed here.
For more information about the Cannabis laws in Canada, Alberta and Fairview, please take a look at the following information sheet.