GPRC Fairview Campus Heart of the Peace
Community of Choice in the Peace Country

Recycling & Garbage Pick Up

Every residence has been supplied with two carts, one black cart labelled “Garbage Only” and one blue cart labelled “Mixed Recyclable Only”. Collection day for both garbage and recyclables will be on Wednesdays. If your cart is damaged, you may be responsible for replacement costs.

How to use your rolling carts:

  1. Place bagged waste inside the black cart & recyclables in the blue cart.
  2. Grass clippings and other yard waste must be bagged and placed in the Black bin (these items are not recyclable).
  3. NO glass in the recycling bin. The recycler does not accept glass.
  4. Roll your carts curbside on collection day by 7:00 am and ensure you remove them at the end of the day.
  5. Ensure wheels/handles are facing inward toward your home with wheels touching the edge of the street or curb.
  6. Lids of the bins must completely close, overfilled bins may not be picked up and often cause garbage on the street when animals or the wind are able to get into the overfilled bin.
  7. Be sure there is one meter of clearance on all side of the carts and overhead - this includes between the garbage & recycle cart, parked cars, fences and trees beside or above.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to the carts when I move?

Rolling carts should remain at your current property, and should not be moved. Each cart has a code which is associated to the residential address to which it was delivered. If you move, empty the cart and leave it at this residence. Ensure it is in a secure location such as a garage or shed.

What if my cart is stolen or damaged?

Carts that are lost/stolen may be traced by their address code. If the cart is not found, or it is damaged beyond usability, it is the utility account holder's responsibility to replace the cart for a fee of $75.00.

What if I can't get all my garbage in the cart?

The equivalent of three bags of garbage will fit in the cart. If your garbage won't fit in the cart, or your cart is overflowing, it will not be collected. Additional bags can be placed at the curb but must have a "bag tag" sticker. These can be purchased from the Town Office.

Can I refuse collection service?

You may refuse carts, but your utility bill will still show a service charge. Bags will no longer be picked up, unless a bag tag has been purchased from the Town Office.

What kind of items can be recycled?

Newsprint/Heavy Paper - newspaper, magazines, phone books, catalogs, flyers
Mixed Paper - office paper, junk mail, shredded paper
Boxboard/Cardboard - cereal boxes, pasta containers
Containers - food cans, beverage containers, hard plastics (# 1 - 7), deposit items
Plastic Bags - bags (# 1 - 7), grocery bags

What types of items can NOT be recycled?

plastic toys
bubble wrap
plastic film
toxic items - batteries, paint cans, aerosol cans
electronics or small appliances
scrap metal or wood
food or yard waste
soiled food containers
soiled paper