TOWN OF FAIRVIEW
Public Works Foreman
The Town of Fairview is accepting applications for one (1) permanent, full-time Public Works Foreman. The Public Works Foreman would report directly to the Director of Public Works & Utilities. They would have the responsibility of overseeing the day-to-day operation of the public works department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The PW Foreman oversees coordinating work across multiple areas and ensuring safety and policy procedures are always followed. The Foreman will assist workers with issues and concerns, and duly resolve or ask for assistance to resolve them. This position will be responsible for the maintenance of the Town of Fairview water and Wastewater distribution and collection system, including the following;
- Supervise and schedule operators, coordinating day-to-day tasks and job planning;
- Identify what equipment and employees are required for a specific job;
- Monitor and record the day-to-day operation of the water and wastewater system;
- Conduct services checks and confirm reporting requirements & housekeeping duties at all river pumps, lift, and aeration stations;
- Perform tasks, complete reports, and test requirements required by Alberta Environment & Protected Areas.
- Conduct and participate in safety toolbox meetings, review, and develop job hazards assessments and field-level hazard assessments;
- Ensure accurate department records are maintained;
- Attend position-related seminars /courses approved by the Director;
- Participate in planned/emergency work related to the installation, maintenance, and repair of the water distribution, sanitary sewer collection, and storm sewer systems, as well as all road maintenance which includes snow removal, and ice issues;
- Respond to customer requests for service while upholding Town of Fairview policies and procedures;
- Report any staffing issues to the Director;
- Assist with annual and monthly reports, report maintenance issues to the Director for budgeting purposes, and assist with budget preparations;
- Coordinate and supervise contractors with direction from the Director.
Qualification / Education / Experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience and knowledge of the water and wastewater system, along with road maintenance;
- Time management and organizational skills;
- Works well in a team setting;
- Minimum grade 12 or equivalent;
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license (Unrestricted);
- Valid Alberta class 3 with air brakes endorsement preferred;
- Valid First Aid;
- Valid Water and Wastewater certification;
- Water Distribution II;
- Wastewater Collection II;
- Wastewater Treatment I;
- Water Treatment II or III an asset;
- Proficient and knowledge of WHIMS and Alberta Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S);
- Ability to perform duties with limited supervision;
The Town offers an exceptional benefit package including the Local Authorities Pension Plan. Based on a 40-hour work week, the salary range for this position is $74,338.00- $89,041.00 per annum, based on experience and qualifications. The successful candidate will be expected to work overtime and on-call hours and support other departments within the organization.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications must be submitted in confidence to:
Garry Leathem, Director of Public Works
Town of Fairview
Town of Fairview
Senior Lifeguard / Instructor L4
Full Time Permanent
The Town of Fairview is seeking enthusiastic individuals to fill the role of Full Time Permanent Senior Lifeguard/Instructor, reporting to the Aquatic Manager. This position will work out of the Fairview Regional Aquatic Centre, which is a part of the Fairview Community Centre. This position contributes to a safe and enjoyable culture at the facility by educating the community about water safety and accident prevention while creating an environment that is welcoming to all.
This position will work 40 hrs per week and will have a mixture of daytime and evening/weekend shift rotations depending on pool programming and staff availability.
The Town of Fairview offers a competitive wage starting at $24.33 per hour and a flexible supportive work environment. An excellent benefits package is available to permanent employees.
- Ensuring accident prevention through proper supervision and appropriate information sharing;
- Performing rescues or first aid/CPR as required for pool patrons;
- Promoting water safety at the facility and in the larger community;
- Providing supervision, coaching and guidance to junior lifeguards and strictly upholding Occupational Health and Safety Standards;
- Instructing swimming skills to clients of all ages and skill levels in accordance with our Affiliate requirements;
- Teaching school swim lessons as required;
- Instructing water-based aerobics or fitness as required;
- Conducting water tests or samples and balancing water chemistry with the addition of chemicals;
- Conducting maintenance on a variety of mechanical or operational systems, including but not limited to backwashes, cell cleaning, and filling the acid barrel;
- Cleaning decks, changerooms, viewing area, activity room, washrooms and lifeguard room and supervising the cleaning conducted by junior staff;
- Accurately completing and filing all required documentation , including but not limited to, accident/incident reports, risk assessment, water tests, maintenance, cleaning, swim instruction and programming.
- Organizing or administering pool programs as delegated by the Aquatic Manager;
- Attending and occasionally organizing in-service and training events;
- Assisting the Manager to ensure appropriate inventory on all cleaning supplies, pool chemicals and program materials;
- Other related duties as assigned.
The Ideal candidate will:
- Be of a fitness level to perform a physically demanding rescue in an aquatic environment at any moment;
- Be capable of lifting 50 lbs;
- Understand water chemistry and be capable of balancing water Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness;
- Be personable and approachable and demonstrate excellent customer service skills;
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Be committed to personal growth and continued enhancement of knowledge and skills;
- Be comfortable working with and leading a diverse team.
- High School diploma.
- National Lifeguard Award.
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or Lifesaving Society Swim For Life Instructor (SFL preferred).
- Standard First Aid.
- 2+ years working as a lifeguard in an aquatic facility
- Supervisory experience.
The following certifications would be an asset:
- Water Art fitness instructor certificate or equivalent
- AARFP Pool Operators I and II or equivalent.
- Lifesaving Instructor
- First Aid Instructor
It is preferable that awards are current, but for lapsed certifications we can develop a recertification plan with the successful candidate.
This position works with children and vulnerable individuals. The successful candidate is required to obtain a criminal record check and vulnerable sector check.
Applications for this position will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Positions will be filled as suitable candidates are found. The Town of Fairview would like to thank all applicants for their interest but advises only those under consideration will be contacted.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply in confidence with resume and copy of awards to:
Town of Fairview
Attention: Megan Schur
Fairview, AB T0H 1L0